Members of the military can secure substantial savings on their car insurance premiums. They have access to unique discounts and military-only insurance companies that are only available to active-duty personnel, veterans, and family members.
Average Auto Insurance Quotes For The Military
On average, members of the military pay just 5% less for their insurance when compared to other occupations. However, this is the average across the entire population and factors everything from poor driving records to young drivers into the equation.
It also doesn’t consider insurers like USAA, which are available exclusively to military personnel, veterans, and their families.
The Best Auto Insurance For Members Of The Armed Forces
Your insurance premiums will depend on everything from your location to your driving record and more. As a member of the military, though, you should focus on the following auto insurance companies.
United Services Automobile Association (USAA)
The USAA consistently ranks as one of the cheapest and best car insurance companies in the United States. It has a high credit rating, excellent customer satisfaction, and some of the cheapest prices.
You can apply for USAA car insurance if you fall into one of the following brackets:
- You are enlisted in the Air Force, Coast Guard, Army, Marines, National Guard, Navy, or Reserves
- You are retired or were honorably discharged
- Candidates in commissioner programs
- Widows and widowers of USAA members
- Adult children of USAA members
USAA also offers car storage insurance for policyholders who have been deployed, with savings of up to 90%.
Along with car insurance, USAA also has rideshare insurance, collision/comprehensive coverage, GAP insurance, mechanical breakdown insurance, life insurance, homeowners insurance, and personal liability insurance.
Active-duty service members are not automatically USAA members. Military families, therefore, won’t qualify just by virtue of their relationship.
If family members want the benefits now and later, their loved one needs to sign up.
Geico has one of the best military discounts of all the major providers. It offers active-duty military members and veterans a discount of up to 15% and offers many other auto insurance savings as well.
Emergency deployment discounts and membership discounts are also available, with the latter offered to members of organizations like the Navy Federal Credit Union, Navy League of the United States, Armed Forces Benefit Association, and the Association of the United States Army.
Armed Forces Insurance (AFI)
AFI was founded in the late 19th century, providing competitive car insurance quotes for customers in all 50 states. You’ll get coverage for yourself and your family members and can choose from liability, collision, uninsured/underinsured, medical payments, personal injury protection, and comprehensive coverage.
Add-ons, such as rental reimbursement and roadside assistance, are available as well.
There are no military discounts listed by Esurance but it does have other benefits, including an easy process for deployed policyholders. It’s quick and easy to get a quote and other discounts are available as well. So, even though there are no specific military discounts, you could still save on your premiums.
Other Ways To Save On Car Insurance
Farmers, Allstate, Progressive, Nationwide, and a host of other car insurance providers offer military discounts and benefits. In fact, some of them, including Arbella, can rival the biggest national providers but are available in just one or two states (Massachusetts, in this case).
Whether you’re preparing for deployment, living in a military base, or planning for retirement, the aforementioned insurance providers offer many ways to save. That said, there are others that offer discounts that are available to most drivers.
- Bundling Discounts:By adding multiple cars to the same policy or buying your homeowners/renters insurance and car insurance from the same place, you could save up to 25%.
- Payment Discounts: Paperless billing is one of the easiest ways to save and while the discounts aren’t huge, they don’t require much effort on your part. Paying upfront will secure even bigger savings.
- Car Safety Features:Most cars are fitted with airbags these days and insurers take a dim view of cars that don’t have them, charging up to 40% more. Anti-lock brakes and anti-theft features will also bring those auto insurance premiums down.
- Good Driver Discounts: Stay accident-free for at least 5-years and you’ll notice a significant reduction in your car insurance premiums.